Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Beauty of Belitung

Beautiful beaches, tasty noodles, mining lakes and satam stones are four popular things that describe Belitung Island.

A bout with smallpox forced me to drop my plan to visit Belitung last year. My dreams of enjoying its pristine beaches were shattered just a week before my departure to the island.

“You must go on bed rest for 14 days and avoid windy and dusty places,” the doctor told me, ignoring my plea for speedy recovery or the fact that I had made an A-to-Z itinerary for the trip months ago with a friend.

This year, all my disappointment paid off — I finally got my chance to take a trip to the island and explore its beautiful scenery.

Situated off the eastern coast of Sumatra, Belitung is known one of the world’s main tin-producing centers, but it rose to fame as an exotic tourism getaway after the movie Laskar Pelangi (the Rainbow Troops), a story based on the best-selling novel by Andrea Hirata on the struggles that some children in Belitung faced in reaching their dreams, hit the cinema in September 2008.

Thousands of tourists, both local and foreign, began to flock to the island to discover what it had to offer as well to take a closer look at the locations where Laskar Pelangi was filmed.

My two best friends and I decided to join a tour group going to West and South Belitung recently.

We were lucky to have Kurniadi, 38, as our tour guide because he showed us some immaculate spots, far from the hustle and bustle of tourists.

Quoted from :http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/05/29/the-beauty-belitung.html

Supported by : JavaTourism.com | Lintang Buana Tourism Services | Java-Adventure.com| Javabikers.com | Liburs.com|TourSumatra.com | FloresTour.com

No comments:

Post a Comment